Saturday, October 17, 2020
Back in 1978, Notre Dame beat Purdue 10 - 6 in a home game... Today was a WEIRD game in many ways -- it resembled games we've played against the Naval Academy over the years, in regards to offensive possessions.
Just The Facts:
- Notre Dame only had 7 offensive possessions in the game -- Clemson had 8 offensive possessions in the first half alone versus Georgia Tech today
- Louisville only ran 45 plays on offense --21 in the first half / 24 in the second half!
- Louisville came into the game averaging 75.8 plays (per game) on offense
- Louisville's offense came into the game with 9 fumbles and 5 interceptions -- a turnover machine. There were ZERO turnovers in today's game
- Louisville's defense had been giving up 34.25 points per game
- Louisville came into the game with just 3 sacks -- they sacked Book 4 times today...
- Both starting QB's threw 19 passes
- Louisville connected on 16 for 134 yards and a TD
- Notre Dame connected on 11 for 107 yards and no TD's
- Notre Dame held Louisville to 7 points
- Louisville scored 35 vs. Western Kentucky
- Louisville scored 34 vs. Miami
- Louisville scored 20 vs. Pittsburgh
- Louisville scored 27 vs. Georgia Tech
- Notre Dame held Louisville to only 233 yards of offense
- Louisville gained 487 vs. Western Kentucky
- Louisville gained 516 vs. Miami
- Louisville gained 223 vs. Pittsburgh
- Louisville gained 471 vs. Georgia Tech
- Notre Dame gained 339 yards of offense today
- Louisville held Western Kentucky to 248 yards of offense
- Louisville held Miami to 485 yards of offense
- Louisville held Pittsburgh to 376 yards of offense
- Louisville held Georgia Tech to 450 yards of offense
Here's what is concerning:
- Notre Dame's inability to consistently move the ball and score points through the air:
- Book has only 3 TD passes in our first four games
- 57 QB's have more TD passes than Ian this season -- only 76 teams are currently playing FBS
- Book's completing just 61.7% of his passes
- Ian completed 68.2% of his passes during the 2018 season
- Ian completed 60.2% of his passes during the 2019 season
Here's what is not concerning:
- 10 straight wins -- longest in college football!
- 22 straight wins at home
- Ian Book is 24 - 3 as a starting QB!
GO IRISH -- KEEP WINNING!