Here's a look at how ACC officiating crews called penalties on Notre Dame in football games against non-ACC teams and against ACC teams. ACC crews worked nine (9) Notre Dame games this season -- the first season the IRISH have worked with the ACC.
Is it just a coincidence that the games Notre Dame plays against ACC opponents -- the flags start flying?
Isn't it ironic that the two games Notre Dame played against long-standing ACC members; North Carolina and Florida State, the Irish were flagged for the most penalties all season? 10 against North Carolina and 9 against Florida State.
ACC Officiating Crew: ND vs. NON ACC TEAMS -- 5 games
- PENALTIES ON NOTRE DAME: 12 for 103 yards
- AVERAGE PER GAME: 2.4 for 20.6 yards per game
ACC Officiating Crew: ND vs. ACC TEAMS -- 4 games:
- PENALTIES ON NOTRE DAME: 30 for 259 yards
- AVERAGE PER GAME: 7.5 FOR 64.7 yards per game
By comparison -- here's what it looked like in the three games called by BIG TEN crews and the Music City Bowl game called by a PAC 12 officiating crew:
BIG TEN Officiating Crew -- 3 games:
- PENALTIES ON NOTRE DAME: 14 for 110 yards
- AVERAGE PER GAME: 4.7 for 36.7 yards per game
PAC 12 Officiating Crew -- MUSIC CITY BOWL GAME:
- PENALTIES ON NOTRE DAME: 2 for 15 yards