Now that Notre Dame is aligned with the ACC's post season bowl game package -- here's what the options look like for the Fighting Irish:
- Orange Bowl has first selection
- Russell Athletic Bowl has second selection
- If the Orange Bowl picks a Big Ten Team to play opposite an ACC team -- then a spot opens up in the Capital One Bowl for an ACC Team
- After those choices have been made -- the following Bowls could conceivably pick Notre Dame; Hyundai Sun Bowl, the Belk Bowl and New Era Pinstripe Bowl
- In addition, an ACC team or Notre Dame will have the option of appearing in the Gator Bowl (three times) or the Music City Bowl (two times) over the next five years
BOWL PAYOUTS -- PER TEAM (last year):
- Orange Bowl: $17 million
- Russell Athletic Bowl: $2.275 million
- Capital One Bowl: $4.55 million
- Hyundai Sun Bowl: $2 million
- Belk Bowl: $1.7 million
- New Era Pinstripe Bowl: $1.8 million
- TaxSlayer.com Gator Bowl: $3.5 million
- Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl: $1.837 million
If I was a betting man (and I'm not) I would bet we'll end up in Charlotte playing in the Belk Bowl -- since we've played in the Hyundai Sun Bowl and the New Era Pinstripe Bowl in Coach Kelly's previous four seasons at Notre Dame.
But, don't be surprised if the TaxSlayer.com Gator Bowl makes a run at a 7 - 5 Fighting Irish football team -- to sell tickets! They took two 4 loss teams last year...
And, you just know the folks in El Paso, TX and the Bronx, NY will be making pitches to get the Fighting Irish back in their Bowls. Jack Swarbrick's phone must be ringing off the hook this morning.
LINK: BELK BOWL -- DECEMBER 30TH
LINK: CBS -- ND VS. TENN IN BELK BOWL