Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Ad Campaign for ESPN's College Network


I've spent much of my career telling stories for brands.

A marketing campaign for ESPNU -- ESPN's college sports network -- called "NEVER GRADUATE" caught my attention.  Its intent is to tell alums and fans of college sports team that they can always feed their passion for their school at ESPNU.

I get it.

Yet, my first reaction to the campaign was this;  "Why would a TV network that is devoted exclusively to college athletics, create the tagline; NEVER GRADUATE?

Then I realized ESPN doesn't care if student-athletes ever graduate from college -- they just care if these entertainers (excuse me, student-athletes) provide them with great programming while they're on campus over a one to five year period of their life.  They could care less about the next forty to fifty years of the lives of these student-athletes.

I get it.

While I fully understand it's not ESPN's role in life to make sure student-athletes graduate from college -- that's up to the universities and the NCAA they send checks to.  I would have thought there might be one senior executive in Bristol, CT who would have determined this isn't the best message to associate with college athletics:  NEVER GRADUATE. 

Unfortunately, they don't "have" to get it -- they just have to get you to tune-in.