Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Walk-Off Three Run Homer: Irish Win Opener!


The Notre Dame women's softball team beat the Broncos of Western Michigan University in their home opener this evening with a two-out, WALK-OFF -- THREE RUN HOME RUN by Amy Buntin!

The IRISH trailed WMU 3 - 0 going into their last at bats...

A home run, triple, walk, fielder's choice (which the runner beat out) and another HOME RUN and the IRISH score five in the bottom of the seventh and it's game over!

This was my first-ever women's college softball game.  I walked in during the fifth-inning thinking they played nine innings...  I have to admit I had no idea the three-run homer was a walk-off until I saw the Broncos walk off the field.

I want to give a shout-out to Tom Lux '78 -- who was kind enough to give me some inside scoop on the Irish softball program.  Tom and his wife Anna are the proud parents of former Irish softball star Christine Lux '10 and junior first baseman Kathryn Lux '13.